Owatrol Deco is an oil-based multi-surface paint suitable for all surfaces with built-in rust inhibiting qualities. It comes in 10 RAL decorative finishes and does not require any priming or undercoating before use. With Owatrol Oil technology, Owatrol Deco provides exceptional corrosion protection and excellent resistance to the effects of weathering and pollution. It can be applied directly to rusted surfaces as it penetrates down to the sound metal, providing long-lasting protection and extending the lifetime of the treated surface.
Owatrol Deco is suitable for interior and exterior uses and will adhere to all surfaces. Because of its high gloss finish, which is extremely flexible, it will not peel or flake making it perfect for use on flexible surfaces like plastics and uPVC. Not only that but it is safe to use in confined spaces as it does not emit harmful fumes. It delivers an exceptional oil-based finish with very low VOC levels.
Ideal Uses for Owatrol Deco Multi-Surface Paint
- Reviving plastic guttering and drainpipes without having to replace them
- Painting your uPVC window and door frames for a fresh new look
- Protecting pipe work and machinery parts from corrosion
- Finishing agricultural or industrial buildings
- Protecting and re-painting rusted gates and metal railings
- Re-painting radiators as it can withstand temperatures up to 175˚C
- First the surfaces must be clean, dry and free from oil, grease and other surface contaminants.
- Remove any mill scale; loose and flaking rust and old paint back to a sound surface and edge.
- Lightly rusted surfaces should be lightly wire brushed and any sharp edges should be feathered in.
- Surfaces which are exposed to chemicals (acids, alkalis or salt deposits) should be washed using water or steam cleaned.
- Severely contaminated surfaces should be cleaned using an appropriate solvent.
- Abrade any new wood surfaces with 120 grit paper to open the wood’s pores and dust it off. Wash with denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) to remove any sanding residue.
- Oily, resinous and greasy woods should be thoroughly degreased with denatured alcohol (methylated spirits), acetone or similar solvent based product.
- Airless Sprayer
Application of Owatrol Deco Multi-Surface Paint
New surfaces excluding galvanised surfaces: apply 2 coats of Owatrol Deco allowing drying time between coats.
New Galvanised surfaces: first prime the surface with Owatrol Oil and allow to dry for 24 hours. Then apply 2 coats of Owatrol Deco allowing drying time between coats.
Clean, lightly rusted or new unpainted rusty steel: Apply 2 coats of Owatrol Deco allowing drying time between coats.
Old severely rusted surfaces: Apply wet on wet applications of Owatrol Oil until the rust is fully saturated and allow to dry (Saturation is indicated by a uniform glossy appearance to the surface when the Owatrol Oil is dry). Apply 2 coats of Owatrol Deco allowing drying time between coats.
Previously coated surfaces: spot prime all exposed metal with Owatrol oil or Owatrol Deco depending on the severity of the rust and allow to dry then continue applying Owatrol Deco, allowing drying time between coats to bring level with the existing finish. Now apply 2 coats of Owatrol Deco over the entire area allowing drying time between coats.
New surfaces: Apply 2 coats of Owatrol Deco allowing drying time between coats.
Damaged, soft, punky or porous wood surfaces: Prime with Owatrol Oil and allow to dry. Apply 2 coats of Owatrol Deco over the entire area allowing drying time between coats.
Previously coated surfaces: Spot prime all exposed surfaces with Owatrol Oil or Owatrol Deco depending on the condition and porosity of the wood and allow to dry then continue applying Owatrol Deco allowing drying time between coats to bring level with the existing finish. Now apply 2 coats of Owatrol Deco over the entire area allowing drying time between coats.
Other Surfaces (plastic, expanded polystyrene, tiles…)
Apply 2 coats of Owatrol Deco over the entire area allowing drying time between coats. For previously coated surfaces spot prime any bare areas with Owatrol Deco to bring level with the existing finish. Then finish with 2 coats of Owatrol Deco to the entire area allowing drying time between coats.
Maintenance is easy and frequency will depend on the conditions that the coated surface is exposed to. Thoroughly clean all surfaces to be coated ensuring any oil, grease and other surface contaminants are removed. Then remove all loose and flaking material and feather in any sharp edges. For heavily rusted metal or porous wood surfaces treat first with wet on wet applications of Owatrol Oil until the surface is saturated and allow to dry. Spot prime any exposed or Owatrol Oil treated surface with Owatrol Deco to bring level with the existing finish. Then apply 1 or 2 coats of Owatrol Deco to the entire area to restore the finish.
Clean all tools and equipment with white spirit while still wet. If allowed to dry, remove with paint stripper. Store and maintain equipment as directed by the manufacturer.
NOTE: Any rags, steel wool etc. soaked in Owatrol Deco may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Rags, steel wool etc. must be saturated with water after use or placed in a sealed, water filled metal container, before disposing with the household waste.
Things to Remember
- Cover everything you do not wish to paint.
- Apply between 5˚C – 35˚C
- Do not apply in direct sunlight or on to hot surfaces.
- When applying by sprayer add 5-20% of Owatrol Oil if required, to bring Owatrol Deco to the desired viscosity.
- If using an airless sprayer it should be 0.4 mm x 80° @ 1860-2000 psi (128-138 bars)
Great product. I used this paint on wrought iron gates and it brought them up a treat, easy to apply with a brilliant gloss finish. Made an amateur look professional. Highly recommended this product.
Sue – Verified Owner
I am extremely impressed at the service and indeed the product I had from you.
I found you online and phoned for advice which was informed and from a personable man (and answered immediately and directly).
A few days later I ordered and it was delivered to me in rural Scotland within 24 hours, and no hassle finding me either.
The product has so far proved great to apply and cleans with turps unlike another well advertised brand……and the lid goes easily back on the tin.
These small things may not count to ‘real’ tradesmen but to a seventy- four year old almost lady who has never painted down pipes or guttering before, they are important.
I am chuffed at the result, so Thank you very much for a great product.
Jenny Parker –
I had neglected the windowsills and steps to our garage and was sure they would need a professional to come and sort them out so you can imagine how delighted i was when i used Owatrol Deco in a lovely dark brown gloss. There was minimal preparation, just cleaning really.The paint went on really smoothly and no brush marks at all. The finished work looks brilliant. I would highly recommend this product. Thanks Owatrol.