Textrol Pro is a saturating wood oil for exterior soft woods. As it is a penetrative product, it saturates the wood to protect it from within – so there’s no film on the surface and it will not peel or flake.
Textrol Pro has a transparent matt ‘oiled finish’ to preserve the natural look of the wood whilst providing exceptional and long-lasting protection from the effects of moisture, weathering and UV rays.
Why should I use Textrol Pro?
Available in Graphite Grey in 5 litres, Textrol Pro offers a finish that brings life to older wood whilst still keeping the silver / aged look. It is also a great option if you are looking for protection from the effects of moisture, UV rays and weathering.
The maintenance is very simple too. There is no sanding required and you can bring the finish back to life with a few localised touch-ups wherever you may need them.
Ideal Uses for Textrol Pro Wood Oil
- Chalets, siding, terraces, barriers, garden sheds.
- Autoclaved or non-autoclaved softwoods, including Red Cedar.
- Apply on a clean coating free of any previous coating.
- Horizontal or vertical surfaces.
Please Note: Do not use on plywood and on heated wood. Swatches are given as a guide only and are based on use for light coloured softwoods. Actual colour will depend on the type and age of the wood surface treated.
New wood surfaces
New wood surfaces have a hard shiny surface known as mill glaze which prevents maximum penetration and bonding of a ﬁnish. To properly prepare the surface for application, and minimise splitting, swelling and cupping caused by exposure to the sun and rain, first treat with Seasonite and allow the wood to weather for 6-12 months before applying Textrol Pro.
Weathered wood surfaces
All surfaces must first be clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime and mildew. If any mildew is present, treat it with a solution of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. Scrub the solution on to the surface and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes then rinse thoroughly. Clean weathered wood with Net-Trol wood cleaner and brightener to remove the loose wood ﬁbres, dirt and other surface contaminants. If necessary sand the surface after cleaning (80 grit paper). After cleaning, allow the wood to dry for 2-3 days before ﬁnishing.
Previously oiled surfaces
Textrol Pro must only be applied to bare wood surfaces or a weathered wood that was previously ﬁnished with Textrol Pro. All other finishes must be completely and thoroughly removed with a wood oil remover such as Owatrol’s Aquanett and then the surface must be cleaned and neutralised with Net-Trol before applying Textrol Pro. If necessary sand the surface after cleaning and stripping (80 grit paper). After cleaning, allow the wood to dry for 2-3 days before ﬁnishing.
Previously coated surfaces
Textrol Pro must only be applied to bare wood surfaces or a weathered wood surface that was previously ﬁnished with Textrol Pro. All previous finishes must be completely and thoroughly removed with a stripper such as Owatrol’s Dilunett and neutralised with Net-Trol before applying Textrol Pro. If necessary sand the surface after cleaning and stripping (80 grit paper). After cleaning, allow the wood to dry for 2-3 days before finishing.
Application of Textrol Pro
- Air-less sprayer
- Do not dilute. Mix the product well before and during application.
- On the prepared surface, apply a generous coat of Textrol Pro in the direction of the wood fibres and over the total length of the board.
- Apply a second coat when the wet appearance disappears (approximately 15 to 30 minutes). Never let dry between coats.
- Apply ‘wet on wet’. Repeat until no more oil will saturate.
- Once the timber is saturated, brush out or wipe up any excess product that has not penetrated to avoid shiny spots.
- In case of spray application, smoothing is always recommended to improve penetration and give a uniform appearance.
- Allow 48-72 hours to dry before walking on / using as normal – depending on weather conditions.
Please Note: Textrol Pro is not a surface coating, its place is in the wood not on the surface.
Decks & other horizontal surfaces
Most decks and horizontal surfaces will only require a maintenance application of Textrol Pro every other year. A single application of Textrol Pro every other year will be sufﬁcient to refresh the natural beauty of the deck/horizontal surface and to maintain protection. A periodic clean between applications with Net-trol wood cleaner and brightener to remove dirt and contamination will renew the appearance of the wood.
Cladding & other vertical surfaces
Most cladding and vertical surfaces will only require touch up applications of Textrol Pro. When areas treated with Textrol Pro turn grey, clean with Net-trol wood cleaner & brightener and apply a single application of Textrol Pro to replace material which has weathered out. Areas retaining good colour do not need a maintenance application. Badly weathered areas may require 2 applications of Textrol Pro (apply the second application as soon as the first has penetrated the wood). Surfaces with harsh exposures to the sun and weather will weather wear more quickly than other areas. If this happens, clean effected areas with Net-Trol and apply Textrol Pro as necessary, blending into areas which still have good colour.
Clean all tools and equipment with white spirit whilst still wet. If allowed to dry, remove with paint stripper.
Please note: Any rags, steel wool etc. soaked in Textrol Pro may spontaneously catch ﬁre if improperly discarded. These must be saturated with water after use or placed in a sealed, water ﬁlled metal container, before disposing with household waste.
Things to Remember
- Before starting, test the colour choice on a small area. Allow to dry to determine ﬁnal colour (remember that this colour will lighten over a couple of months to the final colour).
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat, including plants and shrubs.
- Apply between 5°C and 35°C.
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 24-48 hours.
- Mix product thoroughly before and during application.
- Do not thin.
- Always work the entire length of a deck board or horizontal siding to a logical break, such as a window or door frame.
- Never stop the application in the middle of the wall.
- Vertical siding should be coated from top to bottom.
- Do not allow to dry between coats – apply Textrol Pro ‘wet on wet’
- After spray application, always back-brush or back-roll to improve penetration and uniformity of coverage
- If using an airless sprayer it should be .011 – .015 ﬂuid tip/ 700-800 psi or less