H4 Wood is a colourless, waterproof protection for wood which allows it to age naturally and turn grey without damage from water, pollution, moss and dirt. Perfect if you like the natural look of wood as it turns grey but are anxious to prevent damage such as splitting and cracking which will happen if wood is left untreated.
H4 Wood is hydrophobic and therefore water repellent, it is completely clear and will have no effect on the colour or appearance of the wood being treated. It is silicone-free and helps to prevent environmental attack including from mould and water.
H4 Wood is also suitable for use on stone and in masonry paints to significantly add to the water repellency of the wall surface. It is the perfect solution for external masonry / rendered of pebble-dashed walls.
Ideal uses for Owatrol’s H4 Wood & Stone
- Maintaining and protecting wood that has greyed naturally
- Allowing new wood to age naturally whilst still protecting it
- Keeping a natural look to fencing
- As an additive to masonry paints to make surfaces water-proof
- Paint & waterproof walls in one operation.
Surfaces must first be clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew and previous coatings. Treat any mildew with a 50/50 bleach/water solution. Scrub the solution on to the surface and allow it to stand for 10- 15 minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
After cleaning and/or stripping, allow the wood to dry for 2-3 good drying days or until it has reached a moisture content of 18% or less before applying the finish.
H4 Wood can only be applied to bare wood surfaces or weathered surfaces previously finished with H4 Wood. H4 Wood may also be applied to surfaces previously finished with Owatrol penetrating products including Textrol and Aquadecks without the need for stripping. Contact us for additional information and advice before proceeding. ALL other finishes MUST be completely and thoroughly removed. If necessary sand surface after cleaning and/or stripping (80 grit paper).
New wood surfaces
Test wood for absorbency by sprinkling water on the surface. If water is absorbed quickly, the grain is sufficiently ‘open’ and the surface is ready for finishing, proceed to Application. If the water is not absorbed then proceed as follows:
Alternatively mechanically or manually abrade surface with 80 grit paper and then clean and dust off to remove all loose wood particles.
Weathered wood surfaces (untreated)
To keep the grey look of the wood clean with a light detergent. To restore colour of wood clean with undiluted Net-Trol to remove all loose wood fibres, dirt and other surface contamination.
Previously coated surfaces
All previous coatings must be completely and thoroughly removed.
- Oils and sealers: Strip with Aquanett or Prepdeck then neutralise with Net-Trol
- Solvent (oil or alkyd-based finishes): Strip with Dilunett then neutralise with Net-Trol
- Acrylic finishes (Water-based): Strip with Prepdeck then neutralise with Net-Trol
- Other finishes i.e. 2 pack epoxies, urethanes… Strip with DSP 800 then clean the surface to remove residual paraffin
Note: Hardwoods and woods rich in tannins e.g. Oak, Chestnut, Douglas Fir, Cedar, etc. may darken with Aquanett, Prepdeck and Dilunett, neutralising with Net-Trol immediately after rinsing will lighten and restore the wood’s colour.
Application of H4 Wood to wood
Apply a generous, even application of H4 Wood and allow it to dry for 24 hours.
Quantity of H4 Wood as a paint additive
Add between 1 & 2 litres of H4 Wood to 10 litres of any water based masonry paint.
Clean the surface with Net-Trol and allow the surface adequate time to dry. Apply H4 Wood as directed above. To maintain optimum protection re-apply H4 Wood at the following intervals:
- Vertical surfaces once every 12 months
- Horizontal surfaces once every 6 months
Clean all tools and equipment with soap and water immediately after use.
Things to Remember
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat, including plants and shrubs.
- Do not apply in direct sunlight or to hot surfaces.
- Surfaces in direct sunlight can reach temperatures of 60°C even when the air temperature is 30°C.
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 24 hours.
- Do not thin.
- Always work the entire length of a board or piece of wood to a logical break.
- Never stop application in the middle of a board or piece of wood.
- After spray application, always back-brush or back-roll to improve penetration and uniformity of coverage.
- Ensure wood is dry – max 18% moisture content.